Once the new cart was built and the body placed on it and out of the way I started working on cleaning up the pan. Using an angle grinder and wire wheels I cleaned off the old rust, bits of tar board, and all the other crap that had accumulated on there over the last 37 years.


IMG_1021
This was the pan when I started. I spent hours cleaning off the tar board, rust, and everything else that was on it. It made a huge mess. I didn't discover until I started that there is a rubber gasket that runs around the edge of the pan where the body meets. The easiest way I found to remove it was to use the wire wheel on the angle grinder but this flung little sticky bits everywhere. (A scraper works too but the wire wheel is much faster.) My wife made the mistake of washing the clothes I was wearing while doing this with the rest of the laundry and the sticky bits that were on them ended up ruining a few of her shirts. I also got some of it stuck in the hair on my arm and ended up taking a razor to shave the hair off as I couldn't remove it any other way.

IMG_1063
For some odd reason I failed to take a picture of the whole pan once it had been cleaned off but I did get a shot of the frame head. Once it was down to bare metal I used Restomotive's Marine Clean to clean it followed by their Metal Ready to make sure the POR15 would adhere. I also used the vacuum and air compressor repeatedly to make sure I got every little bit of crap off before I started painting.

IMG_1082
Here is the pan after painting it with POR15. I only used one coat since I was planning on top coating it with Chassis Coat Black.


IMG_1115
After POR15'ing the pan I turned off all the lights in the garage and put my shop light underneath to find any additional holes. The only area of concern that I found at this point was the battery tray and everything I found by doing this I already knew about. A few additional holes however were found after I removed the undercoating from the bottom of the pan later. (See photo further down.)

IMG_1121
To ensure proper adhesion of the Chassis Coat Black topcoat I sprayed Restomotive's Self Etching Primer over the POR15. While all POR15 products have fumes I found this one in particular to be overwhelming and the use of a respirator while spraying it is an absolute must. Before spraying it I followed Restomotive's recommendation to clean and scuff the surface with very fine sandpaper to ensure the topcoat adhered correctly.

IMG_1122
I felt like the rear passenger side floor pan was a little weaker and between that and the holes I went ahead and put in a piece of fiberglass fabric over the entire section. I could have cut the piece out and had a new half welded in but I didn't want to go to the time or expense of finding someone to do this. Using fiberglass requires a large amount of POR15 as the fabric has to be thoroughly soaked. Once it's dry though it feels much stronger.

IMG_1130
Painting the pan with just POR15 would have been enough (since it will never seen sunlight) but I opted to top coat it with Chassis Coat Black to provide that extra layer of protection.

IMG_1259
After finishing the top of pan and removing the transmission and rear axles my two older brothers came over and helped me flip the pan over. While the front of it is fairly light the rear end is quite heavy and it was not easy turning it over. Just like with the top of the pan I used a twisted wire wheel on an angle grinder to remove the undercoating.

IMG_1267
Just like with the top of the pan using the wire wheel created a huge mess. Unlike the rubberized stuff on top however the undercoating was pretty much just a powder that cleaned up far easier with just a vacuum.

IMG_1293
Here's the pan taken down to bare metal. It was while I was doing this that I had the accident with the angle grinder that left a long abrasive burn on my leg.

IMG_1308
This was one of the things that made me glad I went to the time and effort to remove all of the undercoating from the bottom of the pan.

bottompanpor15
The bottom of the pan after receiving a coat of POR15.

IMG_1317
I used some of Restomotive's POR Putty to patch several small holes and one larger hole in the battery tray. (Along with the small holes I found up front in the photo further up.) The holes aren't quite as big as they appear above and I probably used more putty than I really needed. Since it's on the bottom and will most likely never be seen I didn't take the time to sand them down smooth either.

IMG_1325
Just like with the top of the pan after I had painted with POR15 and let it dry I cleaned it and scuffed it up before applying a coating of self etching primer. I didn't have much left and had to use it sparingly to make sure I had enough to at least lightly coat the entire thing.


IMG_1333
And finally, the finished product after painting with a top coat of Chassis Coat Black.